Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Cock-A-Doodle Fool

Let me just start off here by telling everybody who reads this that this little blog is my new internet soapbox. Normally, this place will be pretty mellow, comprising mostly of movie, music, and book reviews. But sometimes, like this entry that will officially kick off this new blog, I shall be ranting. So, welcome! And also welcome to the new year of the rooster.

As a guitar player, I tend to be a biased shopper, musically speaking. I bought my first guitar, a $200 Epiphone acoustic, at a gigantic odeum called Guitar Center. Those unfamiliar with this company should know that Guitar Center is a chain that originated out of Hollywood (I think), that sells not only guitars, but drums, keyboards, accessories of all kinds, books, etc. It's the go to place for the modern musician. The specific store I made my life changing purchase at is located in West Covina, California. And at that moment, it became a special place for me.

I bought my first electric guitar there, as well as my amplifier. It was like the Cheers bar to me, every time I went in the same wonderful people asked me how my guitars were doing, and so on. I even dragged friends down to the store to have them make their purchases there, too. I wanted to share the magic of the place.

Then this happened. Guitar Center is sponsoring a contest for all its customers to win a trip to see and meet the venerable hip-hop star, Nas. Let me just say that one more time--Guitar Center is sponsoring a contest where the winner shall see and meet the venerable hip-hop star (or is he rap? I still need to define the difference) Nas.

Nothing against Nas, nothing at all. But color me confused if a place called Guitar Center, a title which brings to mind a certain instrument and genres in which it is used, hooks up with a hip-hop star, a term which conjures its own imagery. Now if it were a hip-hop artist that really used a band, you know...with guitars, then I would completely understand. But this is Nas, a hip-hop artist that Eminem based his early style off of. Slick beats and synthesized orchestral arrangements beneath nearly stream-of-social-conscious speed speak.

I'll end this now before I get any more heated.

Keep a good thought,

-DCVB
www.spirorocks.com

7 comments:

KMFK said...

WOOO NAS YEAH. He's got the beats to make the booty go smack. Not really, I actually dont like that guy too much. But The Roots is a hip hop group that has guitar and drums. Like actually drums. Anyways I've been thinking about how awesome I am and I think if you guys ever have a song with a tamberine you should give me lead tamberine. I mean I think I coul do it and it would bring more ladies to Spiro shows. Yeah I said it. Either that or you need to start playing guitar with your teeth or play naked. I suggest teeth playing because no one wants to see you guys naked. Maybe me but not you. Dude, I am sooo bored.

DCVB said...

Yeah. I actually really dig the Roots. I'm a big fan of their Things Fall Apart album. Now, if Guitar Center had sponsered a contest with them, then my interest would have been piqued. But Nas? Maybe I'm in over my head. Maybe somebody wants to instruct me in the ways of the Nas so that I would stop making shallow assumptions and insinuations.

KMFK said...

Nah, Nas blows nuts. It's pretty random that they would have him instead of some cool band that actually uses guitars.

DCVB said...

Does anybody know the difference between hip hop and rap? I even worked in a record store for a year in the heart of the California Valley and I still don't know what the damned difference is! Is there even one? I'm so ignorant on this subject and there just seems to be no remedy!

KMFK said...

Well my brother once told me that Hip Hop was a life style of some sort. That was a few years ago and I cant even explain what he meant by that because years after that I have been in music stores with Rap/Hip Hop signs.Over the years it seems to either just be two words with the same definition like crap and shit or it Hip Hop is more of a positive/uplifting type of "urban music" where rap is more about the thug/pimp. I'm usually wrong about things but I dont care.

Ryan said...

I believe Hip/Hop is to Rap, what Pop is to Rock. In other words crappy as opposed to respectable. Like songs with Beyonce' in it would be Hip/Hop, where as good ol' Wu Tang Clan would be some hard-core ghetto rap, biatch.

DCVB said...

Ah, I like that description, Ryan. Unless somebody challenges your answer, that's the one I'm going to walk around town with, telling everybody I know...which means no one will know. But that's okay for I am now at ease!