Monday, April 18, 2005

Even I Can't Understand Me

I'm taking a class in Linguistics, or the study of language, right now. What one basically does with a skill like linguistics is listen to how people talk. So, naturally, we talk a lot about different American dialects, and how they specifically differ.
Anyway, as I was browsing the list of my favorite sites today, I found this little test entitled What Kind of American English Do You Speak? and this intrigued me because, well, I've been paying particular attention to this subject since starting this class.
It can't be entirely accurate, it doesn't actually analyze your voice, but it asks some pretty good questions. My results are as follows...hopefully:


Your Linguistic Profile:

70% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Dixie
0% Midwestern



As you can see, it divides your speech into percentages of various American dialects. I think it's pretty crazy...but maybe that's just me. For those of you who don't care, here's a link to something cool and this too.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

We must be californians, I got nearly the exact same, except somehow you got some dixie, which I'm proud to say I have none.

DCVB said...

Well, it kind of makes sense as both of my mother's parents are Southerners, my Grandpa being from The South a.k.a. 'Bama.

Eben said...

http://www.readymademag.com/feature_1_seemsmarter.php

This really shouldn't be in reply to this post

DCVB said...

Brilliant, Eben. To quote the always quotable Kevin Smith, "Great minds think alike, muthafucka."